Ugggh. Tuesday after a long weekend. A long SUMMER weekend, no less. It's a drag, AND I'm headed out of town tomorrow for a work trip. I'll be in Orlando, Fla., for a conference until Friday, in arm's reach of Disney and Harry Potter World, but stuck in a hotel/conference center instead.
Naturally, I haven't packed yet (who doesn't procrastinate on packing?), but here's a look at the goods every #girlboss needs on a work trip. (Note: My industry is a mostly business casual one, so ladies that have to wear suits, I'm sorry, you're on your own...I've got nada to offer you.)
- Leggings & a soft pullover: Obviously these aren't meant for the conference itself, but comfort is key when flying. I'm glad celebrities always look wonderful when they get off the plane, but the fact is, I never do. And I'm not even trying anymore. My ass got hella sunburnt at the pool yesterday, and pants with buttons are just not an option for the plane tomorrow. Plus, this is what I'll be wearing when I have downtime to myself in my room, because if I go all out and get straight into my PJs every time I want to relax, there is no telling if I will make it back to the conference at all. ESPECIALLY if there is a Westin Heavenly Bed involved (there's not...at least not this time around).
- Neutral flats: These Chinese Laundry d'Orsay flats have been such a go-to for me this spring. The taupe color goes with everything and makes my bare legs look longer, and the shape gives the shoe a professional edge even though there's no heel because fuck heels.
- Skinny pants & a pencil skirt: Skinny pants are just the easiest to style and they'll look polished no matter what top you pair with them. And this Banana Republic pencil skirt is such a winner. It's flattering on most body types, it's comfortable, and it's even machine-washable. Pair it with a flowy blouse or, if you're lucky enough to get a night out sans bosses, a body-hugging tank top.
- Jersey blazer: OK so jersey isn't really what you think of when you think professional, but it's comfortable (are you sensing a theme here)? Most times you can't tell it's jersey, and a blazer just always pulls everything together so well. Additionally, conference halls tend to be drafty, so even though I'm going to Florida, layers are a must.
- Resistance tube: I won't know until I get there how much time I will have to work out, and apparently the hotel where I'm staying requires that you pay to use the gym. (WHAT?! Like I don't even want to pay that on principle, even if my company would cover it.) Staci without a daily workout is a Staci no one wants to be around, so I'm bringing my trusty resistance tube to get some full body strength training in. They're cheap, they take up practically zero room in your suitcase, and they're as light as a feather too. As for cardio? My trainer keeps reminding me to find a staircase and run up and down it (blurgh).
- Hair product: Hi, I'm a Jewish girl headed to the tropical hell swamp that is Florida, so I need my frizz combatants because a Jewfro is never a good look. I swear by Aveda Smooth Infusion Style Prep (and don't worry, Aveda doesn't pay me to say that...in fact, no one pays us to say anything), and the last time I picked some up, the girl gave me a sample of a new product called Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight. Supposedly the more you use it, the straighter your hair gets until you stop using it. So I'll be testing that little dream product too.
So...what's on your list? What are your must-haves when you travel for work?